- 2 cups – Water
- 3/4 cup – Dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup – Sliced okra
- 1 small – chopped Onion [about 1/4 cup]
- 1/2 teaspoon – Salt
- 2 crushed Garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon – Red pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon – Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon – Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small – Tomato – seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup – Chopped fully cooked, smoked ham
- This makes a terrific main dish.
- Heat water and peas to boiling in 2-quart saucepan.
- Boil uncovered 2 minutes; reduce heat.
- Add ham.
- Cover and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender (do not boil or peas
will burst); drain.
- Cook okra, onion, salt, garlic and red pepper sauce in oil in saucepan about 5 minutes
or until onion is softened.
- Stir in cilantro, tomato and peas.
- Heat until mixture is hot.
Rate this Recipe: